Mixed rehearsal with Tricia, Sean and Pete, some good stuff before arguments and stuckness. Stuckness is often the prelude to something special but not tonight.
l-r: Gertrude, Lady Agnew of Lochnaw by John Singer Sargent, and a strange eggcup I’ve had since childhood; me ‘n’ Bob by Lynsey Hutchinson; icon bought in Rhodes; shrine with various gatherings; photo of Pestilence stuck to pencil holder – she hates this photo.
The Radio Blog jukebox is active and renewed now:
– Paul Simon – The Teacher from You’re The One; beautifully subtle in words and music, and in 11/4, no less
– Momus – Professor Shaftenberg – ‘sponsored by Lufthansa to screw the pants off Japanese girls’. Well, really.
– Robert Fripp – Midnight Blue – a soundscape from the master
– Leonard Cohen – In My Secret Life – the voice is so well recorded, so intimate
– Joni Mitchell – Hejira – I had this album for over a year before I discovered the instrument I loved so much on it was a fretless bass (played by Jaco Pastorius)
– David Bowie – Bring Me The Disco King – best track from the best album he’s done in years
– The Incredible String Band – The Waltz of the New Moon – someone said ‘Williamson’s voice obeys the rules of music like birds obey air traffic control’
– Eddi Reader – Honeychild – she gets all sorts of people writing songs for her (including me, I wish) but she can write this by herself. To my mind it has the spirit of Tim Buckley and she doesn’t need songwriters
– Ivor Cutler – A Warning to the Flies – this man was recording this stuff in 1959!
– someone – This Horse – I uploaded this as a test when I was having trouble uploading to this jukebox, so why not leave it? I quite like it after all this time.
Free to download - Stories My Killer Told Me: Five surreal story-songs from my Edinburgh Fringe show.
- I Am Not The One For You
- The Ever Open Door
- New Eyes
- A Forest Trail in Autumn
- The Portobello Slam
Just let me send you an occasional email!