Enjoyed playing in public again last night at the open mic run by Polly Phillips and Rosie Nimmo in Portobello. Got into my stride and the songs made sense.
The nicest moment, however, was while the mic was getting set up I crooned ‘Moonlight Bay’, an old music-hall song I learned from my parents or grandmother. At the far end of the pub I could see a white-haired elderly lady quietly singing along. So that could potentially be my audience (and I don’t mind at all!).
Just for the record I then played:
- When I Came Home from Egypt
- I Started a Fire (new song)
- Dark End of the Street (soul song covered by Richard and Linda Thompson and the Commitments)
- Beggar of Love (with Polly on harmony)
- Bells Are Ringing (new song)
- Tears of a Clown
- Ballad of Bob Dylan